So you’ve got a slice of fiber-rich, whole-grain bread (what a good way to start!), but let’s look past PB & J for a moment to build a better for you sandwich. Why? You can turn a stale lunch-time staple into a nutrient dense, weight buster with the right combination. (This goes for any wheat or multigrain pita, wrap, baguette, english muffin, bagel, or roll too!) Here are 30 delicious ideas…
1. sliced turkey, green bell pepper, pickled cherry pepper, red onion, pea shoots, hummus (combine with olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt, ground black pepper), parmesan.
2. tuna, quinoa, capers, lemon zest, yogurt-herb spread (combine greek yogurt, chopped fresh mint, parsley, minced garlic, salt, ground black pepper).
3. sliced turkey, swiss, red grapes, escarole, olive oil.
4. roasted beets, hummus (combine with olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt, ground black pepper), feta, baby arugula.
5. marinated artichoke hearts, mashed white beans, sauteed spinach.
6. crisp prosciutto, lettuce, tomato, avocado.
7. extra-sharp cheddar, mashed avocado (combine with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, ground black pepper), cherry tomatoes, red onion, sprouts. (as a former standard grilled cheese sandwich-cheese & mayo being the only ingredients-lover, this is my new favorite version!)
8. tabouleh, feta, lettuce, fresh parsley, olive oil.
9. grilled chicken, walnut-parsley pesto (combine fresh flat-leaf parsley, toasted walnuts, grated parmesan, chopped garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, ground black pepper), parmesan, lemon zest, radicchio.
10. goat cheese, honey, toasted walnuts, fresh basil.
11. sardines, hard-boiled egg, red onion, kalamata olives, lettuce.
12. chicken salad (combine chicken breast, salt, ground black pepper, greek yogurt, dijon mustard, minced chives, dried apricots, chopped toasted almonds), lettuce.
13. nut butter (like peanut, almond, cashew, etc.), apple, honey.
14. stewed lentils (combine with chopped shallot, chopped garlic, bay leaf, salt, ground black pepper, red wine vinegar, olive oil), cherry tomatoes, greek yogurt, fresh mint, olive oil.
15. scrambled eggs, wilted spinach, fresh basil.
16. sliced ham, parmesan, cherry jam, escarole.
17. fresh ricotta, strawberries, honey, black pepper.
18. low-fat cottage cheese, black berries, cinnamon.
19. poached salmon, steamed asparagus, goat cheese, lemon.
20. refried black beans (combine with olive oil, minced garlic, chopped shallot, dried oregano, salt, ground black pepper), low-fat cottage cheese, avocado, pickled jalapenos, fresh cilantro.
21. grilled chicken, feta, avocado, mache, kalamata olives.
22. roasted beets, stewed lentils (combine with chopped shallot, chopped garlic, bay leaf, salt, ground black pepper, red wine vinegar, olive oil), pea shoots, goat cheese, olive oil.
23. grilled steak, carrots, pepperoncini, fresh cilantro, olive oil, rice wine vinegar.
24. pork tenderloin, tricolor slaw, whole-grain mustard.
25. roasted tomatoes, melted fresh mozzarella, baby arugula.
26. sliced turkey, swiss, dried figs, fresh parsley, balsamic vinegar.
27. roasted asparagus, red onions, leeks, fresh ricotta, olive oil.
28. sunny-side-up egg, sauteed spinach, roasted red bell peppers, olive oil.
29. marinated tofu (combine with rice wine vinegar, low-sodium soy sauce, brown sugar, thinly sliced garlic, red pepper flakes), roasted portobello mushrooms, baby spinach, olive oil. (definitely going to be my husband’s new no meat, no dairy favorite!)
30. dandelion, baby arugula, mango, bell pepper, onion, grilled chicken breast, mashed avocado (combine with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, ground black pepper).
This proves you can be on a “diet” & still have a wide selection. Diversity is the real spice of life here!