Here is a list of 10 more foods (& liquids) that keep that metabolism going strong to add to your grocery list. (And can make portion control easier too!)
1. Green Tea. There are so many benefits I could go on and on, but it’s a powerful antioxidant and gives a natural, energy boost.
2. Grapefruit reduces insulin levels (but can have interactions with prescription medications-so be aware).
3. Soup is an appetite suppressant because of the mixture of liquids and solids.
4. Apples are full of filling fiber.
5. Pears are low calorie too.
6. Lean turkey. Of all the meat-protein choices, studies suggest this is the way to go.
7. Hot peppers cause some stress hormones to release which makes the metabolism burn.
8. Avocados have the perfect amount of healthy saturated fats so you don’t overload the metabolism with other unhealthy fats.
9. Coffee. A little caffeine can be good energy for the metabolism and there have been other health benefits uncovered in a just a cup of coffee a day.
10. Curry works like hot peppers do!
You don’t have to blow out the budget either when stocking up each week to plan out your meals. Want to know 10 more foods that are good for you, your pocketbook, and also aid in weight loss?
2. winter squash
4. brown basmati rice
6. adzuki beans
7. black beans
8. sunflower seeds
9. sesame seeds
10. pumpkin seeds
It doesn’t matter if you are using these foods in a 3 meal a day plan or a 6 meal a day plan, they can also be used for smarter snacking in general. (Just when you have conquered the idea of what a normal, well proportioned meal looks like, the snacking monster can creep up on you!)
Here is a list of 8 snacking combinations under 200 calories that also protect your heart as a bonus:
The tropical salad. 3 slices each of avocado, papaya, & cantaloupe with drizzled lemon juice & garnished with basil.
The chocolate-nut mix. 1 cup each of almonds & walnuts with 2/3 cup dried blueberries & 3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate.
Tuna & white beans. 1 can of oil-packed tuna, 2/3 cup white beans, 1/4 cup raisins, 1/4 cup torn parsley, 1/2 lemon zest & 1 tbsp. lemon juice, 1/8 tsp. coarse salt & seasoned with pepper.
Sardine & pepper topped cracker. 1 oil-packed pepper, 1 oil-packed sardine, 1 whole wheat cracker, topped with baby arugula leaves & with drizzled lemon juice.
Red wine & dark chocolate. 1 piece (3/4 oz.) dark chocolate & 1 glass (3 oz.) of red wine. (Could be a dessert too!)
Pita with ricotta. 1 tbsp. + 1 1/2 tsp. part-skim ricotta cheese on 1/2 small whole wheat pita. Topped with 3 dried apricots & 1 1/2 tsp. sliced toasted almonds. With drizzled 1 tsp. honey & seasoned with pepper.
Salsa tacos. 1 6-in. corn tortilla with 1/3 cup tomato salsa, 1/4 cup torn romaine lettuce, 1 tbsp. + 1 1/2 tsp. nonfat Greek yogurt, & 1 tbsp. cilantro.
Apple, peanut butter, & chili paste on lavash. 1 triangle (1/2 oz.) whole wheat lavash with 1 1/2 tsp. peanut butter, 1/8 tsp. sambal oelek, 5 thin slices of tart red apple, & a few watercress sprigs.